Life is Grand!  

Posted by cokelady

It's been a great couple of days around here. It always seems terrible to couple such statements with, "James is gone!," but... ! Ha! Just so there's no confusion: I DEARLY LOVE MY HUSBAND. Nonetheless (!), it's always so nice to be home alone for a couple of days. (If having three kids and a dog can even qualify as being "alone!" Ha!) It happens very, very rarely (the whole family usually goes wherever he goes) and it just seems so nice and relaxing. I feel like kicking back and vacationing or something. We've just been on a 3 week vacation, but it was the exhausting kind! Anyway...

James left yesterday morning and the kids and I spent the first part of the day getting the house in tiptop condition before realtor #2 came to take a look at it. We had a market analysis done a month or two ago, but it just seemed smart to get a second opinion before settling on what price to list the house at. The lady that came yesterday is the realtor who sold us this house when we moved here 4 years ago. She seemed pleasantly surprised--to put it mildly--at the changes we've made around here. I don't think of it much until we actually take somebody room to room and show them everything we've done... it's a LOT!!! This entire house has been made over except the den--because it was already perfect with the nice brick fireplace and cedar walls that Uncle Jerry put in back when this was his house. Anyway, the lady just seemed to be more "wowed" the farther we went. I'm hoping that potential buyers will be as impressed with this place as the realtors have been! This lady will be calling on Monday to let us know what she thinks the house will sell for. It will be interesting to see how close it is to the first number we got.

Once the realtor left all of the pressure was off and we just had a nice, relaxing day. So relaxing, in fact, that I can't recall anything that we did! Ha! Tammy cancelled her other plans for the evening so she could come and hang out with me. What a pal! With us moving away from Texas we won't have the opportunity to be together very much--and once James gets home things are going to go into warp speed and I'm afraid I won't have much "hanging out" time in what's left of our time in Andrews. So we didn't want to miss a chance to have a girl night! She ended up staying until nearly 1:00am, I think! Sam was going to pick her up after he finished up at the newspaper, but he was encountering some technical difficulties that made for a very late night--for us all! That's okay, though. It was fun. Tammy made brownies while I put the kids to bed. It was Joe's night to sleep with me, so I let him crash on the couch for a while and even let him have a brownie. Lucky dog. ;-)

Today we got up and had breakfast and devotions, then headed to the back yard to get to work on the garden. Everything was dead or very nearly dead due to being left unwatered in the West Texas sun for three weeks. It was looking pretty rough and James said it would be best if we just got the whole area cleaned out before we start showing the house. So the kids and I spent and hour or two pulling carrots and and digging up the other plants and weeds and such. Everybody pitched in and helped, but Sam just ran circles around the others. That kid is by far the best little worker we've got. IF he's in the mood, that is! And today he was. I was working with the hoe and he was following behind me with the rake and gathering up everything and putting it into a nice, neat pile. Katie and Joe were hot and tired and thirsty and needing a popcicle (pitiful!) for an hour before Sam even thought about taking a break. When I finally stopped working to look at him I found that he was soaked with sweat!






What a great little worker! :-)

We finished up in the garden and came in for lunch. Left-overs. We played games for a while, then sat down and built with Lego's together before nap time. It was so fun! It's been a long, long time since I've done that. Maybe that's why these couple of days have seemed so enjoyable--I'm living in denial of all the things that need to be done and I'm just hanging out and enjoying myself! It feels so good to just spend time with the kids outside of school time and the "have to do" stuff. I went out and tossed the football with Joe for a little while, then "played baseball" for a few minutes, too. It's been so great!!!

While they were down for their nap (not that anybody actually fell asleep!) I got all of my stuff together for teaching them Sunday School tomorrow. I got my supplies collected and the chocolate pudding made--I just need to swing by the store to pick up some Oreo's in the morning. Who wants to join us--it's going to be a great lesson! :-)

I got the meat/bean mixture all cooked up and ready for lunch tomorrow. (Sam & Tammy are coming over for taco salad after lunch--yum!) The kids have been sooooo good the past couple of days (GOD HAS BEEN ANSWERING MY PRAYERS and we've had such good, sweet fellowship with one another--I couldn't be happier! Or more thankful!!!) and had been earning lots of stickers, so we had a pizza party tonight to celebrate! Watched a really great Gunsmoke episode, so that made the boys happy. They were highly concerned throughout most of it though. Festus got shot in the very beginning and the gunslinger who did it was waiting around the whole show for Matt Dillon to get back into town so he could kill him. Matt finally got back and the guy did outdraw him (at which point the boys were about ready to die!), but while he was laying on the ground with a bullet in his shoulder he got the drop on the guy and made for a happy ending just in the nick of time. ~sigh~ They just don't make shows like that anymore! Ha!

Saturday night is always bath night around here and tonight was no exception--especially with how sweaty everybody has been today! Afterward we played one more round of Uno, then had devotions. I put everybody to bed and went to take my shower. Then I went and got Katie out of bed (it's her special night to hang out and sleep with Mom) and we watched a movie together while I worked on my quilt. Ah yes, my quilt. This would be the quilt that is supposed to go on Sam's bed. The one that matches the one I made for Joe's bed. Two years ago!!! The quilt that has only had a few hours of work left on it for months and months now!!! Isn't that pitiful?! All it needs is the binding--that's it!!! How can you keep putting something off for so long when you're sooooo close to finishing it?! Well, I finally got the inspiration. Probably because I figure my opportunities to work on such things are over once James gets home and we get into "moving" mode! Ha! I finished half of it tonight and intend to have the rest of it done in the next day or two. That will make me very happy. :-)

And now it's midnight and I'm blogging. No more, though. Got to get some sleep. Before I go, let me post this picture of Katie's handywork. That kid is the best Etch-a-Sketcher I know! Ha! Honestly, this picture isn't nearly as amazing as some of the others she's done the past few days, it's just the only one I took a picture of.





And one more shot of Sam. That kid has been in full costume since the moment we got home from the big trip. For real--within 30 seconds of walking in the door he had made it to his closet and pulled his cowboy boots on. He switches from his cowboy garb to his fireman stuff to his army guy paraphernalia to the gladiator get-up to the cop uniform to the pirate attire... and then starts all over again. And sometimes he wears multiple costumes at one time, in layers or all mixed up together. Goof ball!



Okay, well, I'm going to call it a night. Hope you all have wonderful church services tomorrow!!!

~Rebekah~

This entry was posted on 10:28 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

Wow! Great post. It was so good that I'm just speechless. I do have to say that I just love Sam's goggles! Oh my!

Oh my goodness! I didn't have time to read the whole story when I first looked at you blog this morning so I just browsed the pictures. I had to show Jon the Etch-A-Sketch art. Katie is INCREDIBLE!!!! I've never seen or heard of a kid who can do what she does with an Etch-A-Sketch. And Sam all decked out is hilarious!!!!

I did go back and read the whole story after breakfast. Sounds like you guys are having a fun weekend!

Great pictures and post! Katie is amazing! What artistic talent she's loaded with. And Sam's talent??? Well, he's REALLY GOOD at what he does! Joe, too. What a fun, diverse bunch of kids you have. Then there's the Smith grandkids--they're diverse, too! Each one is unique and so fun! Thank God for kids, and especially for grandkids!

WOW! I'm throughly impressed with Katie's art work!!!

Where do you get the dress up clothes for Sam?

I should start a file of pictures of all of Katie's best art. Her Etch-a-Sketch images are always terrific. She draws regular pictures (with a pen, not an Etch-a-Sketch) with "depth" now. Like a girl up close and a boy far away and stuff like that--and it really looks like it! She draws shadows next to images and even the "shine" on a shield and things like that. She just has a naturally artistic eye, I guess. Amazing.

Sam's dress up clothes... We have a few of those "sets" you can buy at Wal-Mart for $10 or $12. You know, the fireman set comes with a fireman's helmet, jacket, badge, ax, etc. Same thing with the cop set and the gladiator armor. The pirate stuff came from the dollar store and I think it's my favorite--Sam just looks so great with the eye patch! The cowboy stuff has been gathered a little bit at a time over the past few years. The costumes are cheaper than a lot of other toys and much better for the imagination. :-)

Anonymous  

Your children are amazing. I have a little riddle you can tell them that Sister Marcia is sending their way. Hopefully Sara didn't share it at church this morning. Why are peacocks so unpopular?
Answer: They're always spreading tales.

My kids used to play "spy" and had Spy Tech toys. They would wear 5 layers of "identities" and sneak and roll around the house. They would just take off a layer to become another spy identity.

Ha! That's so great! I would mention it to my boys... but I already pick up way too many clothes each day without finding 4 extra layers dispersed in various locations throughout the house. ;-)