Just Lazin' Around  

Posted by cokelady

No--really! That's what I've been doing! It's been GREAT!!! After all that time in the motel I thought I'd NEVER want another day off in my whole life. I was dying for something to do. Well, after all of the moving, I'm dying for a day off! Ha! Crazy, how you always want what you don't have... ;-)

So yesterday I got up, we had devotions, the kids played and I blogged. I couldn't get motivated all morning, so I just waited until afternoon to tackle the job I've been dreading: cleaning the bathroom and "moving in" in there. Jamey had already cleaned it and I was AMAZED at the difference after she was done. It was like night and day! But this bathroom was sooooo gross that I spent two or three hours cleaning it AGAIN and I couldn't believe all of the muck and guck that was still in there even after the first cleaning. I usually just use my rags when I clean, but I couldn't bear the thought of continuing to use the rag that was being contaminated by all the gunk, so I opted to use paper towels. I kid you not--I used half a bottle of cleaner and an entire roll of paper towels, and then some! YUCK! I'm tellin' ya', you ain't never seen gross 'til you've seen this bathroom. If this move has taught be anything, it's that the people we bought the house from in Andrews weren't nearly as dirty as I used to think they were! Ha! Anyway, I got the bathroom closet all cleaned up and got our bathroom boxes unpacked. It's already been so nice to not have to rummage through boxes to find things! I took all of the gross towels racks and everything down and hung my own cute little "BATH" and "TOWEL" hooks and the wire rack that I keep my fresh towels rolled up on. This bathroom is long and narrow and it's hard to find the wall space necessary for my things in there, but I made room. ;-) It's going to be really cute when we're done with it. I'm going with blue and yellow again, of course. There's just nothing like a bright, cheery, CLEAN bathroom. :-)

That is the sum of my labors yesterday. Three hours in the bathroom. After that I sat down with the kids and put together a Clifford puzzle, then played two or three rounds of Memory with them. They were losing big time, so Katie and Joe decided to team up and combine their matched cards to make a bigger stack. In the end, I tied with 'em. Ha! That'll teach 'em!

After Memory got old I went into the kid's closet to pick out another game or puzzle, but somehow none of the kid stuff looked good to me. So I ended up grabbing my Coca-Cola puzzle and dumping it out on the table! Crazy, hu?! Like I have time to put a puzzle together!!! But amazingly enough, I did. :-) The kids helped me and they actually did really good. Even Sam got a few pieces. Of course, I had to unlatch several mismatched pieces along the way, but he did get some in the right places, too. The Coke puzzle is only 500 pieces, so it just took a couple of hours and ~voila~ we were done!

Got all of the kids bathed in our freshly cleaned bathroom (it feels sooooo much better!) and put to bed, then I sat down and played a game on the computer for a little while. Just felt like loafing, you know?! Thus the new template. (I liked the one with the Twinkies better, but couldn't get it to work, for some reason...) Then I remembered I had Sunday School to prepare for, so I got to work on that. A sheep lesson with sheep crafts: cotton balls and macaroni wool.

This morning we had 30 or 35 people in Sunday School. Good service. James preached a message on people selling out (like Esau and Samson), then tonight he finished up with a message about being NOT for sale (like Joseph and Naboth). Good stuff. This morning we had a denominational pastor visit our service who is looking to find a building his congregation can rent. He seemed like a very, very nice man and he seemed to really enjoy the service. We're going to pray about the possibility of renting to them. There are pros and cons to everything, but it sure would help with expenses. And who knows--maybe this guy and some of his people would stick around for our services and end up getting Church-of-God-ified! :-)

We came home today and everybody fell into bed. Couch for me. I was brought up that that's the proper place for a Sunday nap. :-) And it was SUCH a good one! One of those where your body is just aching to lay down and sleep for a little while and when you finally hit the pillow it just feels soooooo good... ~sigh~ It was terrific. :-) Got up and got everybody ready for service and headed out. We have church at 5:00 Sunday evenings and I LOVE it. It just works out so great at that time. We had a good service tonight, too, with a wonderful season of prayer to begin with and a really good song service. It was a blessing I really needed.

We grabbed a bite at the Panda Express (can you believe I've learned to choke down Chinese food after all these years?! Only at Panda and only the orange chicken. I've actually developed quite a taste for it!), then headed home. So it's been a great Sunday! Good service, nice afternoon nap, good service, kids to bed, loaf around, blog... ~sigh~ Life is grand.

Okay, a few pictures...

This is what it looked like outside when I woke up yesterday morning. Ain't it purty?! Yes, Jenna, New Mexico can be beautiful, too! I've always had the same impression you have--it's just a flat, hot, ugly, desolate wasteland. And it is in most places! But for some reason unknown to me, God has seen fit to put me in the mountainous, cool, beautiful, Colorado-ish part of it! :-)


Here's Sam with the finished puzzle last night. What fun!



Katie was cold after her bath, so she curled up by the fire. And promptly fell fast asleep! Had to be toted to her bed. By the way... how do you get all that black smudgy stuff off the bricks, Mom? We haven't had a chance to work on it a whole lot yet, but James tried the other day with only minimal success. Help???


And here's good ole' Hershey Dog with his toy duck. I can't get him to sit back and let me take his picture with it. Any time he has it he wants to PLAY and he's not going to be sitting still anywhere!


Back up to the picture of Sam... Take a real close look at those eyes... NOTHIN' BUT TROUBLE, hu?! That kid. He's been wearing me out lately (he's soooooooo bad!), but he's also been cracking me up. At Panda Express several weeks ago I read his fortune cookie slip to him: YOUR DREAMS WILL COME TRUE, it said. So I asked him, "What did you dream last night, Sam?" He thought a minute and said, "Nuthin'." Later on he was telling James about his fortune cookie. "Know what mine said, Dad? Mine said, "What'd you dream last night--nuthin'!" Ha! What a nerd!

After nap time a couple of days ago Sam came to me and said, "Hey, Mom, you know what? When we're in our bedroom, there are three people watching us. Know who? God... Jesus... and Matt Dillon!" Ha! Ha! Ha! I was expecting the Holy Ghost, but since Matt Dillon is hovering over Joe's bed in there... Ha!

Sam has this nasty little habit of saying things that he knows will get Joe all riled up and angry. His eyes just dance the whole time, too--he loves every minute of it. Yesterday I heard Sam's voice, but couldn't hear what he was saying. I didn't have to though because Joe's frustrated response told it all: "SA-A-A-A-AM!!! The Lone Ranger did not electricute Tonto--and he doesn't kill good guys all the time either!!!" Ha! That kid is such a creep!!!

Katie and Joe have been providing their own entertainment, but that'll have to wait for another time. Some day I'll have to write up a whole post on Honest Joe Horne. If a kid has ever been honest to a fault, it's Joe. The kid drives us nuts!!! Ha! Anyway, I guess that's all for now. Tomorrow I'm going to unpack a few more boxes of kid stuff and see if I can find places for all of it in the kids' room and closet. It's already starting to get pretty full in there! We weeded out a BUNCH of stuff before we moved, but still... The boys and Katie had seperate rooms, each with their own closets of course, a whole room just for playing in (full of way too many toys!), and all of their school and craft stuff in my office. That's a total of four rooms and three closets that used to contain their junk and now we're down to one room and one closet! We may need to weed out some more to make it all fit! FINE BY ME. The less junk the better, I say! Okay, I'm really done now. Have a great Monday!!!

~Becki~



This entry was posted on 10:37 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

Hey, Bec. Thanks for the new post and the glimpse of a semi-normal life once again. Semi is better than non-existent, right? I mean, you got to put together your first puzzle in your new home! How great is that?
About the brick . . . I've heard you can use oven cleaner. You're supposed to leave it on for a few minutes, then use an old towel to wipe/brush it off. Be careful; that stuff STINKS to high heaven and will absolutely choke you to death so you need to be sure the room is ventalated and I made the mistake once of leaving that stuff on too long and then I had a REAL mess! It dried on there and I liked to NEVER got it off. In fact, it was in the oven of our MO when we were evangelizing and we were in TX. Grandmother ended up helping me get it off. Do NOT leave it on too long or you'll regret it. Read the directions on the can. There are other options, such as dipping scrub brush into a pan of white vinegar (don't dilute) and scrubbing away. Check out this site for some great cleaning tips of all kinds: www.howtocleanstuff.net
I'm glad SOMEBODY got a Sunday afternoon nap yesterday! :-/

Wow! I can't imagine you loafing or not liking Chinese food. It is always nice to take a break, especially when you are moving in or moving out.

It sounds like you have a Jeremy and Darren on your hands. Darren just loved to torment Jeremy when they were that age. He also loved to instigate things and then leave Jeremy to get in trouble for it. Joe will be your perfectionist when it comes to spiritual things. Sam will be your thinker, unless I've totally misinterpreted their personalities based on the stories you have told of their activities.

Wow, Becki! Your background is great! The bright colors are so fun...I missed the Twinkies, I guess. :-)

Sounds like things are going pretty well at the new Horne home. It's good to hear what you guys have been up to.

Love the snowy picture...glad it's you and NOT me. The snow in our backyard is just FINALLY starting to melt. We're ready for spring around here!

Ha! We've had nothing but SUMMER for the past four and a half years, with only short little reprieves here and there. So this weather is FANTASTIC! And I just love having a nice fire right here in my own living room--the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it smells... ~sigh~ Life is grand!

Mom, James is in town right now and will be bringing back some vinegar and oven cleaner. I'll let you know how it goes!

Sister Tammi, you are sooooo right. At least as far as Joe is concerned. He is already SUCH a perfectionist with spiritual things. He spends half his life confessing stupid little things that don't matter at all--and refusing to say anything affirmatively for fear it MIGHT be a lie... Sam, on the other hand, well, we'll just have to wait and see with him! He doesn't seem to do much thinking as yet, except to connive new and glorious ways to make trouble! Ha! Actually, he does on occassion wax philosophical on us and I've been amazed at some of the questions he's asked--for such a little guy.