Swamped  

Posted by cokelady

I'm sure you've all experienced that terrible heavy feeling of pressure when there are so many things to do and not nearly enough time to do them all. James and I were sitting in the den this afternoon discussing all that needs to be done this week before Camp and Convention and the longer we talked the more weight we felt. There's no way we'll get it all done, it seems! And have you ever felt so overwhelmed by all of it that you just couldn't figure out where to even start, so you just sat down and watched the last half of Family Feud?! Ha! That's what we did today! In fact, most of the rest of the day has been pretty fruitless, too.


I must say, however, that I love how James is handling the pressure so far. He's sooooooooooooo very Choleric (98% to be exact) and Cholerics tend to get... rather tense, shall we say?! Well, he's kind of gone the other direction this time and it's soooooooooooo nice! He spent the 30 minutes I was cooking dinner chasing the kids all over the house and acting much worse than the three of them put together. I'm not sure what all was going on, but all three kids came into the kitchen to tattle on him numerous times. "Mo-o-o-o-o-om! Dad's hurting me!!!" "Mo-o-o-o-o-om! Dad won't leave me alone!" "Mo-o-o-o-o-om! Dad put my head in the toilet!" Of course, they were giggling while they were doing their tattling. The last one was just too much though and pretty soon I was forced to play the Mean Mom. "JAMES!!!!!!" He came sauntering in with an easy grin and assured me that nobody's head actually made it into the toilet.

We had chicken parmesan tonight. James actually started the chicken and thoroughly enjoyed nagging at me that we didn't have enough bread crumbs for this meal. (It was my suggestion and I thought we were well equipped for it.) I finally shooed him out of the kitchen and got the spaghetti going. I had to go to James after a few minutes and ask just how upset he'd be if we didn't happen to have any mozzerella cheese to top the chicken with! Ha! And I thought I had everything we needed for this meal. Oh well, we just used some extra parmesan and called it good. The kids horked it down, so I guess the meal was still a success.

After dinner the whole family headed out back to play in the Blob for a while. That was a first! (There's nothing like a truckload of responsibility to make you want to go play for a spell!) There's not exactly a whole lot of room to play once all five us us get in (!), but it was great fun anyway. The kids crawl onto James' back and he gives them rides. It is hilarious!!! I only thought the pool was warped before. You should see the tricks it does when James is bouncing up and down in it! Oh, that I had the words to describe it. Actually, we all got rides tonight. I was trying to relax in the green floaty ring, but it felt more like I was riding the rapids. Ha! Fun!!! James thought the pool looked a little low, so he got the hose and added a little too much water. After a while somebody crashed into the dangerous side of the pool and it did that same drop-to-the-ground-and-flood-the-backyard trick it pulled the other day. I was able to grab it and pull it upright again, but not before it had created a mud wrestling arena next to James' office. (Maybe we should try that for our next tension-dodging family night! HA!) Anyway, it was great fun and a terrific stress reliever.

We got everybody dried off, had family devotions and got the kids to bed. James headed out to his office for a while and I've been piddling my evening away in here. Didn't accomplish anything, it seems. I hate that! I have known for a few weeks that I'm going to be doing Children's Church one night at Camp, but I still have nothing. I have to do a boost for the regional paper at Convention (I hate that job!!! --Boosting, that is), and I just found out yesterday that I need to teach the adult class one day at Camp. And I have nuthin'!!! N-u-t-h... you know--nuthin'! But then, I usually don't. I've always been one of those people who really struggles to get any inspiration until the last minute. Oh, how I hate that!!! How wonderful it must be to feel completely prepared and at peace with what you're going to be doing a week or two in advance. I can only imagine, since I've never experienced that personally. ~sigh~ Anyway, I know there are a lot of people out there who have a whole lot more on their plate than I do, but I take things pretty hard so say a prayer for me anyway! Ha! Really, I know I have no right to complain--I'm thankful to be able to do whatever I can to help out. But it takes me sooooooooo lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong to get a class put together and I'm running low on time now!

And my Aunt Eunice passed away yesterday morning. She would have been 102 years old tomorrow, I think. She lived 5 or 6 hours north of here, in the panhandle. Aunt Sue is going to be driving up for the funeral on Wednesday and I'm going to go with her. I only recall meeting Aunt Eunice once (I can't even remember if she was my great-great-aunt, or if it was a triple-great!), but I don't want Aunt Sue to have to make the trip all by herself. And my Grandmother and Granddaddy are buried up there and I've been wanting to make a trip to the cemetery anyway. It's going to be tough to lose a whole day this week (we'll leave at 4:30am and get home at about 7:00pm, we think) with so much to be done, but it just seems like the right thing to do.

As for what's been going on around here lately... Let's see. The Sno-Cone Sale on Saturday was great! We made $105, I think--which is fantastic! Then Sam & Tammy went back yesterday after church and made about $80. That means we have enough to pay Camp tuition for Sam & Tammy and all of my family, and and $80+ to help toward Stacey and Albert's tuition. Yes, you heard right--Stacey and Albert are planning on being at Camp!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! Pray, pray, pray, pray, pray!!! This is a huge miracle already, but we need the one that will see Albert saved!!!

I got James a tie with a picture of kids on it for Father's Day and Tammy and Aunt Sue had made up great Father's Day gifts to pass out at church: a six-pack of Coca-Cola bottles with beef jerky and mini-cholocate bars. :-) After church we came home and let the kids run for about an hour before loading up and heading to Big Spring for the Greater Vision concert. We went and picked up Sister Patsy and took her with us. She came to church for the first time about 2 months ago and I think she's only missed 2 services since then. She's a sweet, old fashioned lady who enjoys good, doctrinal preaching. James had told her about a big sale they were going to be having down at Mardel on Saturday (all Gaither DVD's were on sale for $10, along with several other things) and she went down and bought 11 of them! HA! I told her that anybody who would buy 11 Gaither CD's in a single day would love this concert and that she should go with us. It wasn't too hard to talk her into it, and we had a great time! The concert was soooooo good. You know it's going to be a good night when they start off singing He Set Me Free. :-) Next they sang Tell Me the Story of Jesus, then I Love to Tell the Story, We Are so Blessed and so many more good oldies. And I'm always so struck by Gerald Wolfe's humility. He is so immensely talented, but he just seems so genuinely humble and down to earth. He skips most off the showmanship that is offered at other concerts and he doesn't at all flaunt his abilities. To the contrary, you get the impression that he's really capable of much more than what he gives you! Anyway, it was a really nice, fun night--and a blessing, too. And Sister Patsy didn't get out of the building without spending another $40 of the package deal they were offering! Ha!

Well, I should go. But first, I'll give you a pictoral tour of the past few days. I didn't feel up to organizing all of the pictures tonight, so I'll just slap 'em all up there here at the end!

This is a picture of our well-established flowers. These are the ones I was just sure we were going to lose right after we planted them. They get the afternoon sun and looked to be completely scorched and withered by the end of the first week. I guess they pulled through okay!

This is the craziest rose bush I've ever seen. Notice the color of the small bud on the lower left. It's a deep peachy-orange kind of a color. That's why I selected this bush--I just loved how bright and unique it was. But when the roses bloom they turn into a very definite PINK. Weird!

I don't know what this little flower is, but it sure is pretty!

And I forget one kind of flowers these are (I'm sure somebody out there can help me out!), but aren't they gorgeous?! We found the planter at the dollar store and James picked out some purty little things to fill it. :-)


This little guy was on our back screen door the other night. The kids would've been so excited, had they beed awake.


Look!!! The cowboy stuff/weapons ban is over!!! These pictures were taken bright an early on the first morning they were allowed to touch the goods again after a whole week without.


While I was giving Sam a bath on Saturday night I noticed that he had a huge blue bruise in the middle of his forehead, mostly covered by his hair. He has no idea where it came from and it just barely shows up in the picture for some reason, but he's so cute I hate to post it anyway. :-)

And just a couple of pictures from our concert last night. We were able to secure a second row seat over on the side. Nifty! And the kids were perfect angels throughout the entire 2 hours--they did great!!! Sam got a little restless there at the very end, but they were all soooooooooo good and really seemed to enjoy all the music. They've been listening to the new Greater Vision CD's (Patsy wasn't the only one who walked away with the package deal!) all day.




Well, I'd best do something that will benefit my family and the upcoming Camp more than this blog will. ;-) Have a great night! I'll try to be faithful to post this week, but you just never know. If I need a break, I'll be here. If I'm being a good, diligent little girl and doing the things I'm supposed to be doing, you may not hear from me. Only time will tell!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 9:04 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

I love reading your blog! You make me laugh. It sounds like you all had a great time. I am impressed you were able to relax and enjoy yourself in the midst of stress. Very encouraging to me. I have never heard greater vision. We have a southern gospel radio station here, I will have to call in and request them. Hope you get everything done! :) ~Teresa

When I'm really, REALLY busy, it somehow helps to blog. When I write down all I've done and all I need to do it helps keep me focused. Weird. Then there's always the anticipation of hearing some encouragement from a friend or two. Here's MY encouraging word, "Sic 'em!"

Way to go! When I have tons to do...I suddenly get overwhelmed and can't figure out what to do first, so I usually either blog or read a book. Makes absolutely NO sense, but...somehow, taking that break away from it all, always helps me get focused and then get it all done. I am confident that you will get it all done just when it needs to be. Today...I'm working on my Sunday School boost and my regional paper boost. I had forgotten that I had to do that too, until I read your blog. ~grin~ I'll work on the finance report while we are traveling to the Canada convention and hopefully have the rough draft done by Monday for smarter-individuals-than-I to check it for errors. I'll be praying for ya. Please pray for me too.

Oh yeah, I am so excited that Stacey and Albert are going to camp...are they taking Brianna too? I'll be praying!

We will be praying for you for your class. Dustin and I know somewhat of how you guys are feeling as far as stressed and having so much to do. I have VLB service Thursday, and a night of childrens church at camp as well. Dustin has 3 classes on Purity to teach to the teen boys and 3 crafts to come up with. But it will all work out. ~smile~! can't wait to see you guys!!

Your flowers are so pretty. You've done a very good job keeping them alive!
Haley and I just started putting some thought into our night of children's church last week. She had a great idea so we're gonna run with it. Hopefully we'll get the loose ends tied up tonight and tomorrow.
My stress is generated in trying to make sure I pack everything necessary for 7 people for a week. But that won't really set in until later this week. So I've been taking it easy and doing some scrapbooking! HA!
Glad you guys had a good time at the concert. Sounds like fun!

Okay, in the planter, there appears to be bachelor's button, zinnia, dusty miller and vinca. I skimmed the other comments and did not see where anyone "helped you out."