Ouch!  

Posted by cokelady

That's the word from my arms, my feet, and my back. Sissies. They used to hold up to about anything, but these days they seem to be turning into a bunch of big whiners. Wish I could figure out how to get them to straighten up and just do their job without all the fuss! My arms are sunburned, my ankles and feet are swollen (they look like my Mom's pudgy feet... just a lot longer! Ha!), I have a blister on my toe, and my back is pulling that silly trick where it makes me walk like Quasimodo for the first 10 or 12 steps when I get up from a chair. The bunch of bozos.

But complain as they may, they were unable to deter me from the task at hand and I was able to complete the painting in the backyard today! YEAH!!!! Thank you, thank you--you may all be seated now. Oh, thank you. Yes, yes, thank you. ~sigh~ It feels sooooooooo good. Actually, I guess it doesn't exactly feel good (as was discussed in paragraph #1), but it sure looks good! And don't go nutty on me, Kasey--I'll have some pictures up here soon enough. ;-) Anyway, I spent all day doing the trim work on the shed, James' office, and touch up on other miscellanious locations round about the house.

The kids spent a lot of time in the pool again today, especially Katie. She and I both got a little too much sun on our arms. But due to that Cherokee blood we inherited (thanks, Dad!), we didn't burn badly and it will just settle into a brown in the next day or two. It's so nice not to have to worry about burning and peeling! Joe is our little albino boy; the one who will have the most woes with the sun. He got a little burnt today, too, but it must not be bothering him because he hasn't mentioned it. Anyway, I started painting just after 9:00 this morning and I think I finished up at about 4:30. I never even stopped for lunch (I did grab a pickle on my way back from the bathroom once...weird) because I just wanted to get it done! Trim work always takes so much time. For me, anyway. But in the end it's worth it all and I love our "new" backyard! When James and I got everything cleaned up I climbed into the pool to cool off for a few minutes. It's amazing how good that feels!!!

When I got out, we decided it was time to pull the plug on the infamous amoeba pool. We emptied it out all over the yard (hope the pecan tree likes chlorine!) and will set it up in a new, more level location tomorrow. Don't worry--I have pictures of the bulging mass from a few days ago. I'll post them together with whatever else happens to be on my camera. Maybe tomorrow. Only time will tell. I know better than to make any promises.

We had Ladies' Bible Study tonight and another brand new visitor joined us! This is sooooooooo exciting!!! In the past month or so, we've had 10 brand new visitors!!! WOW!!! It is just sooooooooo exciting!!! And two of them have barely missed a service since they're first service with us several weeks ago. God is doing something so special here in Andrews and I just can't wait to see what's next! Speaking of which...

I mentioned this briefly in my last post, but pleeeeeeeeeeease pray for us to find God's will concerning a location for our services!!! We've been renting the First Christian church for the past year or so. It has worked pretty well for us and we're thankful to have had it, but it is a huge building (it kind of swallows up our group right now!) and it only has a swamp cooler. In Texas, that's a bad, bad thing! It is almost unbearably hot in the summertime and the cooler is so loud that it's extremely difficult to hear what's being said in service. Those are two very bad things. So...

This past Saturday, James and I noticed a store front building that was available for rent. It's really rather small (we could fit, but wouldn't have any extra room at all) and the rent is a little higher than what we're paying right now. It would be wonderful to have our very own place so we could start having regular service times (right now we meet from 12:00-2:00 on Sundays and at 7:00 on Thursdays) and be able to have our own sign and flags and song books out all the time and ready to go. But the guy wasn't willing to budge on the price and was wanting quite a bit up front--he really didn't act like he wanted us there anyway. And then if we did get it, we'd have to find some way to furnish it with chairs and a pulpit and all that stuff! Besides that, he wants a 1 year lease. We're hoping that we keep growing and won't even be able to fit in that little building a year from now! So that one isn't looking real promising.

But... at the Sno-Cone sale on Sunday afternoon the pastor of a little Methodist church came by and started talking to Sam & Tammy. He said that his congregation might be willing to rent their building to us--he'll be talking to them tomorow night to find out. We all went over and looked at it tonight. The building itself is perfect. The sanctuary is much smaller than where we are now and would fit us better, but still give plenty of room to grow. There is a beautiful kitchen and nice fellowship area and three very nice Sunday School rooms. We could probably even move our service time up an hour on Sundays, which would help. It has refrigerated air, so that eliminates the heat and noise problem that we have in our current location. In fact, the only really bad thing about it is the sanctuary itself. I mean, it's really nice, but... it's just sooooooooooo not Church of God!!! It's got two pulpits, one on the left and one on the right. (This building we're in right now is the same way--weird!) and it's got lots of big, shiny banners hanging here and there, some funky stained glass windows, a big Christian flag in the front along with lots of ornate stuff--a big shiny gold cross and suchlike sitting on a table up on the platform. And it has alters up front, but they're not the kind that anybody would really pray at. They have a pad of some kind down low, then a slat of wood that is up high. Makes me think formal and Catholic or something. It just doesn't look like the kind of altar that you could picture somebody crumpled on the floor in front of, tears streaming down their face, pouring their heart out to God! The whole thing just feels so stuffy and not us. ~sigh~ The pastor is extremely nice and everything about the building itself is perfect. But... It's so hard to know what to do. I know that you can worship anywhere, but we would so love to be able to have our own place and be able to make it look and feel like The Church of God in there, top to bottom! God knows our heart and He knows our need. He also has the answers. Ah yes, that reminds me!

The Church here owns a little lot on the north end of town and we've had it up for sale off and on for a couple of years. We've never had any interest in it. Until today. We received two different offers on it today!!! Is that just too weird, or what?! The land isn't worth very much money, but it's not usable for us and it's not doing us any good just sitting there, so any money at all is better than nothing. And it just seems so strange for this to be happening right now--while these different building opportunities are presenting themselves and while we're having all of these visitors coming. What is it that God is trying to do??? We want to know so bad it's killing us! There is a little Church of Christ building that is soooooooooooo Church of God looking (we've been inside of it) and it's been sitting vacant since before we moved here four years ago. The owner wants a ridiculously large amount of money for it (twice it's value, probably) and it's way out of our range. (Even at it's true value! Ha!) But we've always just kind of felt like it should be ours, you know?! Is that bad??? ~sigh~ Anyway, we are in desperate need of God's will here right now and I know that He's working something out for our good. We just want to be careful not to jump at one thing when He may have something else planned! So please help us pray.

Ooooh. I did it again. I clogged up my own blog with "serious" talk instead of goofiness. Sorry! But I couldn't help it this time--we would soooooooo appreciate any extra prayers we can get on this matter!

I'll spare you any more. Let me just say again... my backyard looks terrific!!! That means, of course, that my house is trashed. ~sigh~ Why can't it all be nice at the same time?! As of tomorrow, I'm hoping it will be. Wish me luck! Later, ya'll!!!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 9:34 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

9 comments

Will pray about a building for y'all!

I think y'all should go ask the pastor at the Elder's COG if he'd be willing to let y'all borrow their building. *sly grin*

Sis.Becki,
trust me if anybody knows and understands the building situation.. its me.. we are currently looking elsewhere for building.. our current location is ok.. but for some reason we just feel like God has something else. We contacted the local Weselyn(sp) Church who recently disbanded.. and told theme of course we're not in any shape to buy out right but we'd like to possibly rent with the option to buy.they told us a price.. which isn't bad but isn't something we can do right this minute, however we're praying if its God's will.. the other church who is interested will back out and they'll consider our offer to rent with the option to buy.God knows all Sis.Becki.. and he knows EXACTLY where The Church of God at Andrews needs to be. We're prayin for ya'll!

Great thinking, Rachel! Maybe he'd even let us put a Church flag out on the sign. We'd be able to use their sign because we're already using "his" church's name--it would be so easy! HA! I DON'T THINK SO.

Thanks for the prayers, Jared. We'll be praying for you guys, too!

I would like to share 3 things. =)

#1 from my experience a store front or hotel conference room are best. It is always weird "sharing" somewhere with another congregation.

#2 If the lot you have is able to have a trailer you could look into that. I find people around here a LOT trying to get rid of FREE trailers to clear land off. They clean up nicely with paint. You can totally gut it and make a nice little church. I have seen several churches start out that way. Anyway.. that just depends on if the lot could have a trailer.

#3 If you find yourself needing chairs for the storefront or anywhere else. We are selling ours. We no longer need them. We have 50. I just listed them on Craigslist.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/com/346112008.html

That's all! ;) Looking forward to pics!

Anonymous  

Sis. Becki,
We still have our chairs. pulpit, altar and piano. We have told Bro. Horne that we would just give them to you all. We are of the same body, are we not? I hope things work out for you to get something. We are having service in our living room right now and that doesn't seem to be conducive to visitors.

We are sooooo excited about all your visitors. That is so encouraging. We will certainly be praying for you all.

I am so thrilled you got your back yard done. Now, do you want to come and finish mine? Wahahahahha!

Love you, ~~Sis. Gaylene

Anonymous  

I just read one of your past posts and your experience with super glue. HINT! Go buy some fingernail polish remover and it will take it off of your desk and your skin. Just thought you might like to know. Do you remember the girl from Salida that used to come to church once in awhile and she was the youth leader at the Presbiterian Church, I think. I can't remember her name. She was blonde. Anyway, She superglued her finger to her face one time. She came over to Chris and Shanda's house and Shanda took some polish remover and it came right off. Anyway maybe this will be of some help to you.
~~Sis. Gaylene~~

Her name was Angela, Sis. Clarkson. I used to be friends with her but when she backslid she quit calling and wouldn't answer my calls. I've tried to get in touch with her but to no avail. :-(

But I can sooo see her supergluing her finger to her face!

Becki, you don't think you could just get a big neon "THE" to put on top of their sign? Don't think they'd go for that, huh? hee hee (I don't like saying that but sometimes it just fits)

Pictures, pictures, where are the pictures? :)

Did you get my e-mail yesterday?

Any progress with the building situation? I'll be praying for you guys. We're going through a very similar situation at our church. Seems like a lot of our churches are. I just keep reminding myself that our Lord had no place to call home.

We just had one of our little churches here in MO disband (the pastor went home to be with the Lord) and the other two members transferred to our local church. Their building sold recently so we were thankful for that. The money went to our regional Brother's Keeper program. The Lord is indeed working mighty things for His Church ... just can't put my finger on it yet. ;-)