Why Does My House Keep Looking Like This?????  

Posted by cokelady




~sniffle~sniffle~ It just won't end... No matter how much and how hard I work, there is still more work to be done. Especially when you're married to James "whop-ching" Horne. (That was a whip cracking, in case you couldn't make it out.) I told him yesterday that it is sooooo exhausting to "work" for him. There's no such thing as, "Hey, great job on that! Why don't you take a break and treat yourself to a day off." It's always, "Alright! You finally finished up on that? When are you going to do..." Ha! Chop-chop! Of course, since that time he has brought home a vase of beautiful red and yellow roses, helped make lunch (soup & grilled cheese) today and made most of dinner (chicken parmesan) tonight. He also told me I should get a book from Sister Galaviz' "library" tomorrow. He's really a pretty good boss... once you let him know that's what you need! ;-)

We managed to get a full 5 days of schooling in this week, Tuesday-Saturday. I've been putting off my polyurethaning jobs all week long. I was supposed to be done by now, but I didn't even get started until yesterday. I spent Wednesday getting all caught up on the laundry and ironing from before Mom came. That felt good! We had another good BTI lesson at Sister Grimes' house that night, although we only got half way through it. That's okay--we're enjoying it!

Yesterday I pulled out the poly and went to work. I was really hoping to get two coats on the chairs yesterday and two today. HA. Should've known better. I got one coat on the chairs yesterday, as well as one coat on the utility table, the cabinet doors, the cabinet and countertop in the bathroom, and all the trim. But that was it. There must be something different about polyurethane fumes. No other kind of fumes have ever bothered me before, but I was feeling sick again last night after working with them--and after a few hours again today. Weird.

James bought a freezer yesterday. Wa-Hoo!!! He went to town to rent a trailer so he could pick it up. I finally got ahold of a U-Haul place (the first locations I tried either didn't answer the phone or didn't speak English) and asked if they had a small open trailer available. "What's your name, Ma'am?" I gave it to her. "How long do you need the trailer? ...When would you be returning it? ... What is your phone number? ...What year is the vehicle that would be pulling the trailer?" I told the lady I had no idea what year the vehicle was and asked if she could just tell me if there was such a trailer AVAILABLE so we'd know if any further interrogation was even worth our while. "Ma'am, I won't know that until we go through these questions." HA! As if the year of my vehicle is going to determine whether or not they've got a trailer sitting on the lot?! I told her I'd just have my husband call. People are crazy!

Anyway, James got home with the trailer and we got it into it's rightful spot in the utility room. Wa-Hoo!!! That means that room is ALMOST finished now!!! If only I can work my way through the Plague of Polyurethane we should be all done there. That will feel soooooo good!

James took Katie with him to return the trailer and hit the sales at the grocery stores so we'd have a few things to put IN our shiny new freezer. I got back to work with my bucket of poly and foam brush. The boys spent the next 3 hours rolling around the yard in the freezer box.



Oh, to be a kid again!

I was really hoping to get another coat of poly on the chairs last night, but they never did feel quite dry enough to use the steel wool on. ~sigh~ Same story tonight. I kept thinking they'd be dry enough sitting in there by the fire, but some of them still feel just a little bit tacky. You know what this means, of course. It means that I am perpetually bonded to a can of polyurethane and a foam brush. They will be my constant companions for 2-4 hours a day every day for the rest of my life. There's no such thing as just getting it all done in a day and being THROUGH with it. Noooooo, you have to don the grubby work clothes and walk around with your bucket day after day after day... ~sigh~ I can't imagine I'll have a chance to get a coat on the chairs tomorrow, so that means it'll be at least Tuesday night before I can be DONE with the poly--or at least think I'm done. (Until James reminds me of all the other things that still need poly-ed.) It really hasn't been so bad, I guess. Today I had the kids bring their school books and sit next to me while I worked so I could help them. It helped to distract me a little bit, too, so it didn't seem quite so monotonous.

Since I couldn't put another coat on the chairs tonight I decided to take a nice, hot bath. It was GREAT! I've actually been managing to catch up on a little bit of my reading this week. I'd fallen way behind again, but I finished of the Evening Light and two No Greater Joy magazines, then a Reminisce Extra. Tonight I finished up a Country Woman and made some headway in the latest Country. Wow. That sounds like a LOT of reading! It really wasn't. I was NEARLY done with most of those to begin with! Anyway, I was enjoying my nice, relaxing time in the tub... until this dreadful sound started coming from the bedroom. I couldn't figure out what it was, but it sounded TERRIBLE. It wasn't incredibly loud, but it was whiny and chaotic--and extremely repetitive. I finally had all I could take and started screaming for James. I told him I couldn't take whatever it was anymore and to please MAKE IT STOP. He just laughed, but the racket did stop. I found out later that he had been listening to some of that horrid organ music that he loves so much on YouTube. ~sigh~ What a goon. I'll never understand how he can enjoy such terrible things!!!

That's about it from here. I'm all set and ready to go for Sunday School tomorrow. Apparently next week's goals are the same as this week's: polyurethane everything that isn't walking, breathing, or speaking. We'll see if I can be more successful this go round.

A couple more pictures before I go. Hhmmm. None of Katie this time. Here's Joe enjoying some Hershey time. Hershey goes to sit with Katie or Joe a lot more than he used to. Not Sam, of course. Sam's the reason Hershey finally became "mean" to begin with! Ha!

And here's Sam with the "old woman" he made out of one of his birthday balloons.

Ah, yes. Sam. He was watching the slide show on my computer today when a picture came up of Katie pressing her hands against the glass of a tank at the Tennessee Aquarium a couple of years ago. There was a guy in scuba gear on the inside, pressing his hands against the glass back at her. Sam recognized it as an aquarium and asked if it was a scuba diver in there. I said it was. His shock was anything but mild. "You mean they keep PEOPLE in that tank?!?!?!?" HA!

This entry was posted on 10:21 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

I'm sorry that you are permanently attached to a can of poly...I do hope that all of your hard work comes to an end fairly soon so that you can enjoy the work of your hands.

Sam is a riot. The look on his face through the old lady balloon is hilarious and I love that he thought that the aquarium kept people in there...too funny!

I hope everything goes better than you expect it to or else do I see visions of you walking around at next years assembly with that stuff in your hand?

*smile* It'll be over before long and you'll be sooooo proud of your accomplishments. I gotta say it looks great from this end. And what about that husband of yours? What work is he doing to be demanding so much of you? (besides warming up soup and slapping a few sandwiches together?) I tell ya ... men. *rolilng eyes* ;-)

Keeping people in the aquarium. Now that might be something they could do with husbands who demand too much! ha ha ha

Sam's comment. Tooo funny. :-)

Wow! That dog really looked like Rusty back in the old days!! I had to do a double take :)